r-anne-dom : a place for me (anne) to leave random blog posts.
Such as:
..knitting, sewing, and other random activities pursued
..Girl Guides of Canada : yep, Guiding Lives Here
..the 4 shops on Etsy : one features quality handmade items; the second has lots of patterns, & crafting supplies; the third is stocked with Vintage; and the fourth is guiding flowers.
Enjoy the r-anne-domness!

August 13, 2011

Pattern Review - Zest Tote Bag from Joann.com

Pattern Review - Zest Tote Bag from Joann.com

Bag 1 - Side 1

I liked the look of the Zest Tote Bag (link is to a pdf file) on the Joann.com website and thought I'd give the pattern a try.


Modifications:
1. I did not include any quilt batting and did not stitch the quilting lines.

Bag 1 - Side 2

2. I replaced the fabric trim with battenburg lace I had in my stash.


Issues with Instructions:
The instructions are not clear on Step 3 for attaching the lining to the outer pieces - when I first did this, I automatically put right sides together but you must put wrong sides together for this step.


Ugly seams showing inside.  :(
Additional Review Notes:
I was very disappointed that the seams show on the inside of the bag - since there is a lining, I assumed the inside seams would be hidden between the outer fabric and the lining.  When I make my next bags, I will see if I can correct that and have the lining sewn separately to hide the seams.  I'll be sure to post about that project.

The project is labelled as a Skill level 2: Sewing experience needed - I am not familiar with their levels, and I've been sewing since before my teens (and that is many many years) and I would have liked to see clearer instructions for Step 3 ... or perhaps clearer drawings depicting right side vs. wrong side.

Bag 2 - Side 1
Bag 2 - Side 2
The bags did turn out great, though, and I'm sure will be loved by the gift recipients. 




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing on the DIY party at Pleasures of the NW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was talented like this! This is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing with #SocialButterflySunday! Hope to see you link up again this week :)

    ReplyDelete