r-anne-dom : a place for me (anne) to leave random blog posts.
Such as:
..knitting, sewing, and other random activities pursued
..Girl Guides of Canada : yep, Guiding Lives Here
..the 4 shops on Etsy : one features quality handmade items; the second has lots of patterns, & crafting supplies; the third is stocked with Vintage; and the fourth is guiding flowers.
Enjoy the r-anne-domness!

September 05, 2011

Tutorial - Small Tags for Handknits

Tutorial - Small Tags for Handknits

I wanted some small tags to attach to some of the handknits I make for my etsy shop ~ ennadoolf ~ and thought I'd try Shrinky Dinks.


My local Michaels store only had one kind of Shrinky Dinks in stock, so that is what I bought.

They are the "bright white" ones with both sides being shiny - no rough side.
That means I could only use permanent markers on them, not colouring pencils.
 
I cut out several shapes in various sizes.


cut shapes

All of these photos were taken on my cutting board where you can see the 1 inch squares to give you an idea of sizes.

I figured that the items would shrink to about 30% of their original size.

The Shrinky Dinks sheets were 8 inches wide x 10 inches long, so I cut the sheet into 3 pieces - each 8 inches wide and using 1/3 of the length of the sheet.

before - in inches

before - in centimeters













I shaped many of the corners so that they would not have sharp edges.
And I cut some circular shapes too.

Decorate each piece as you'd like - with pictures, words, etc.

If you plan to punch holes, do that now.  Remember the hole will shrink too.

I punched holes using both a 1/4 inch and a 1/8 inch punch.

ready for the oven
after the oven

in the oven ... starting to curl and shrink

in the oven ... about half time
 
after - in inches

after - in centimeters


No comments:

Post a Comment