r-anne-dom : a place for me (anne) to leave random blog posts.
Such as:
..knitting, sewing, and other random activities pursued
..Girl Guides of Canada : yep, Guiding Lives Here
..the 4 shops on Etsy : one features quality handmade items; the second has lots of patterns, & crafting supplies; the third is stocked with Vintage; and the fourth is guiding flowers.
Enjoy the r-anne-domness!

July 30, 2013

Teams on Tuesday - Etsyknitters - Zibeline Knits

Teams on Tuesday - Etsyknitters - Zibeline Knits

Today, meet Keya of Zibeline Knits!

What is your shop name?
Zibeline Knits  (or www.zibelineknits.com)

What is your blog name?
Zibeline Knits

When did you learn to knit?
around age 9

Who taught you to knit?
My grandmother taught me, but my mother should get a great deal of credit for fixing my mistakes as time went on. (I've been knitting, then, for 32 years.)

What or who inspires your projects?
I really don't know. I think I'm more inspired by a pattern of stitch than an external experience. I tend to look at a stitch pattern and just get a visual of what it should be used to knit in my mind.


What is your favourite thing to knit?
Ahhhh. That would be socks.

Are there yarns/wools you love?
I am absolutely a wool snob. I prefer to knit and to wear merino and pure wool over every other fiber type.

Are there yarns/wools you don't like to work with?
I don't like acrylic or to really work with any yarn that contains acrylic; I'm just not into knitting with plastic. I also have a considerable allergy to angora rabbit, which is completely unfortunate!

What would you like to say about your creations?
My yarn is unique. I dye in small (two or three hanks at a time) batches and no two organic hanks are exactly the same. My yarns are completely organic and hand painted or hand dyed. Nearly all of my yarns are a product of the U.S.--originating in Oregon, plied in Peru--with the exception being the BFL that I import directly from England. Someone once made the comment that, since I have so many hanks to choose from, I must just "cook" them in the microwave. I was deeply put off by that comment! I use non-toxic acid dyes and NO microwave or oven at any point in the process. My yarns are usually dyed and dried outdoors, so there's no issue with animal hair or allergens. There is also no smoking allowed in my dye works or my home, so there's no cigarette smoke aroma, either.
What other fiber arts do you enjoy?
I do a good bit of spinning when I can, as well as having begun my exploration of the triangle loom. Is there another fiber art you'd like to learn? I would like to someday own and operate a traditional treadle loom, but that's years down the road for me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment