r-anne-dom : a place for me (anne) to leave random blog posts.
Such as:
..knitting, sewing, and other random activities pursued
..Girl Guides of Canada : yep, Guiding Lives Here
..the 4 shops on Etsy : one features quality handmade items; the second has lots of patterns, & crafting supplies; the third is stocked with Vintage; and the fourth is guiding flowers.
Enjoy the r-anne-domness!

February 04, 2017

Saturday Spotlight: Drift Away Art


Saturday Spotlight

Drift Away Art

1. What is the name of your shop or business and what do you sell?

The name of my hobby (business) is Drift Away Art which is a mixture of Canadian driftwood and stained glass captured in the form of mini sail boats set upon a unique piece of glass infused driftwood. It also includes Message in a Bottle, Framed Art, Crazy Eyed Fish, Mood Boxes, Sun Reflectors, Christmas tree and Robin decorations, Lighthouses and nautical glass pebbles.

2. Where are you located? or where do you sell?

I'm located in London (home) and I usually sell at craft shows. 
I have my pieces in The Been Garden on Dundas, 
Glass in Motion (Grand Bend & Sauble Beach) and 
Lake Life Studio in Camlachie ON.

3. Do you have your own website/store or online link? 

I don't have my own website yet but watch this space it's coming soon. 
I put everything I make on Facebook and Instagram so people usually PM me with requests and orders. 


4. How long have you been doing your craft/art and how did you get started?

I've been doing Drift Away Art for just over a year now; I got started after I took a stained glass course in London and loved it, but wanted to do something with glass and driftwood after I finished so Drift Away Art was born.

I'd like to thank everybody who continuously supports Drift Away Art whether you are a Facebook or Instagram liker, a customer, a shop owner for selling my unique pieces or a friendly smile with lovely comments at a craft show.  I thank you from the bottom of my heart my making Drift Away Art turn from an idea into a reality and a dream come true. 
I appreciate and value every single one of you. 

5. Who or what inspires you to create?

The beach and water are my inspiration; I could spend all day at the beach collecting driftwood and watching the waves. 

6. Do you listen to music when you work, and if so what kind? 

I have started to lately it's usually a mixture of modern country, Sarah Smith, Pink and 90's pop music.

7. What do you like least/most about your craft?

Cutting my fingers on the glass is what I like the least especially when I'm grinding the glass. 
The look on a customers face when they see my Drift Away Art pieces that is priceless and the best feeling ever. 

8. Describe your workspace? 

My workplace is my studio at home. I have 2 work stations, one for cutting and prepping and a soldering table, lots of shelves full of completed pieces and my two mini dachshunds dog bed in the corner they keep me company whilst I'm in there. 

9. What is one of your best moments as a crafter/artist? 

The best moment was the first time I sold my first piece of art at a show (I thought somebody actually likes my work) it's really hard putting your art work out there as it is an extension of yourself, so it's like people are judging you too.. it's very scary. 

10. What advice would you give to anyone thinking about starting their own craft business?

Start very slow, know what you want to do, where you want your business to go.. ie just online sales, or an actual shop, know your audience and what they want, research all your marketing areas, ask other business owners for advice. 
Always move forward but always remember where you started from.. one step at a time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment